Wednesday, July 13, 2005

At Least I Have My Health

Ok, so I spent the better part of Monday in the emergency room. Long story short (and to avoid any gross details), I was having severe abdominal pains, and thought I might have food poisoning. The docs did their tests, and ruled out anything viral or bacterial. No food poisoning, no liver or pancreas problems, just good old fashioned IBS brought on by stress. Great. And I have a lot of tests I'll have to go for now, to rule out other things. Colonoscopy, here I come!

Seriously though, it did make me stop and think, as I lay there on a gurney with an IV attached. Health is something we all take for granted, and at that moment, I really realized that. I haven't been sick in a long time, and to be that ill, that helpless, wasn't fun at all. It's scary to think of how fragile we are. I'm not trying to turn my inconvenience into something serious. It's just that even with a little IBS, I felt like I was going to die. It must be horrible to really be ill, to have something that is really life-threatening. I really don't want to feel like that ever again. I know it's inevitable, but it's scary to think about...

*****************************************************************************

I've been debating for a while whether or not to post thoughts regarding my job, since it is the cause of most of my stress (as well as happiness, if you can understand that). I love my job, but sometimes it eats away at me.With all the talk lately of employers firing bloggers, it's a bit scary. First Ammendment my ass. Anyway, I'll think on it, and maybe post some thoughts later this week.

*****************************************************************************

Song of the Day: The River, by Bruce Springsteen

If you've never heard this song, go out and get it. Download it off iTunes, borrow it from a friend, hell, buy the album. It's a double CD, but worth it. The best version of this song is on the Live in New York City DVD set (audio CD as well), at MSG. If listening to that version of this song doesn't make you cry, you have no soul.

No comments: